Connecticut Bill of Sale: What You Need to Know

The buyer or seller of a vehicle in the state of Connecticut needs what's called a vehicle bill of sale, and one that fits state standards. This all gets done at the point of sale with a licensed dealer, but private car sales require a couple extra steps for the buyer or seller.

What goes on a vehicle bill of sale in Connecticut

A Connecticut bill of salefor a motor vehicle should include the following itemsto be accepted by theConnecticut Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV):

  • date of sale--the day, month, and year of the transaction occurred
  • vehicle selling price--the agreed purchase price (not necessarily the money changing hands at point of sale)
  • description of the vehicle--new or used, year of manufacture, automobile make and model, major condition issues, vehicle identification number (VIN), and odometer reading
  • name and address of seller and purchaser--full names with detailed street or mailing addresses
  • signature of the seller and date signed

Can the seller draw up a bill of sale?

When a vehicle is sold privately in Connecticut, the seller may draft a car bill of sale as long as it contains the detailed information above. This may be done by hand or by machine, e.g., typewriter or computer. Generic bills of saleor the officialConnecticut bill of sale form might also be used.

What happens at a dealership with the bill of sale

When a vehicle is purchased from a licensed dealer, the dealer handles all aspects of the transfer of ownership, including completing a proper bill of sale, transfer of title, and vehicle registration. The dealer also provides a copy of the bill of sale to the purchaser.

How a vehicle bill of sale is used

A Connecticut bill of sale is required at the DMV for registering a vehicle. It might also be required for tax purposes--expensing or charitable vehicle donations. It serves as an important record for the vehicle purchase.

When selling a car privately, in addition to completing a proper bill of sale, the seller needs to complete and sign the reverse side of the Certificate of Title and give it to the new owner. The marker plates from your vehicle should be removed and returned to the DMV with the registration certificate, asking that they be cancelled. The receipt for the returned plates should be kept in seller records, and the local tax assessor agency contacted on removing the vehicle from the property tax list. A copy of the original vehicle bill of sale can be arranged by:

  • completing aTitle Copy Records Request(form J-23T)
  • filling in sections 2 and 3 or 4 of the form and the requester section, including telephone number
  • including a copy of the original registration
  • providing two forms of identification (as stated on the form)
  • enclosing the required $20 fee

A copy of the requested bill of sale should arrive about four to six weeks after returning the proper form with all the necessary enclosures.